Saturday, June 14, 2008

Flood Stories No. 2: More rain! Also, mild blasphemy!

Hey, guess what? More rain! We got three separate rounds of fairly heavy rain (the first one had slushy hail, too, which was a first for me -- imagine being under a tall building, with a couple guys on the top floor throwing snow cones at you) this afternoon, from about 4:30 to 5:30 PM. Awesome.


Well no, not really. It's actually kind of le suck, as the French would say,1 but oh well. We've got however many feet of water now, so what's a few more inches? The city attempted to reason with the storm, erecting hastily-written, but clear, signs --


but these were sadly ineffective.

The first storm also included what might have been a tornado (they did sound the sirens and everything), though that was never made official. I was a little disappointed: I figured if we were to get really, superfantastically lucky, maybe the tornado would pick up all the water from our river and drop it somewhere else. Maybe I expect too much from tornados. I did enjoy the last one. (At the time of the tornado, I lived about half a block south of the church pictured at the link. Good times.)

Still, I got to see cool swirly clouds anyway, which is my main interest in tornados. I just want to see clouds do something different from the norm. So this was cool:


And anyway. The latest rain did eventually end:


12 And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: 13 I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. 14 Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, 15 I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. 16 Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth." (Genesis 9:12-16, New International Version)




Liar.


-

1(If they didn't speak French very well.)


3 comments:

Nancy J. Bond said...

I'm so sorry for the flooding and all the rain you've had. Such devastation. I wish you could send some of it our way to help with our forest fires -- it's dry as kindling here.

Hermes said...

We had those sort of floods last year. Good luck and hope the river subsides soon.

Mr. Green Genes said...

Best of luck Mr. S! I think it was Woody Allen who wrote "Mother Nature is a bitch"- looks he's right...