Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Pretty picture: Pulmonaria 'Raspberry Splash'

I really don't care whether Pulmonaria flower or not; I just love the leaves. Not so crazy about their slightly prickly texture (I get itchy if I have to move them around on a table), but I love the leaves.


A favorite perennial? Well, I don't know. We probably shouldn't get carried away. I mean, there are some very nice Hostas and Euphorbias, and Hemerocallis is occasionally awesome. I could go on. But Pulmonaria has to be up in the top ten, at least.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this plant, both the leaves and the flowers. Used to have it. Unfortunately, so do the resident groundhogs. They eat it down to a stump until it gives up and dies. Same with the toadlilies. Boo hoo.

Anonymous said...

This is a nice one, Mr. S.! When pulmonarias behave themselves and don't get mildewed foliage, they're truly fine plants. In my view, all perennials should contribute foliar interest as well as flowers, since their bloom season is so short. My horticultural background is failing me now (ouch, ouch), but I'd be willing to bet that pulmonarias and comfreys are related. I have and love many of both!

Anonymous said...

It and euphorbia amygdaloides are my 2 favorite perennials for shade. Then there's begonia grandis - very nice. And the ferns, of course.
Hey, are you coming outdoors more nowadays, leaving houseplants for a while? It being summer and all.

mr_subjunctive said...

No, not coming outside any more than normal: I'm just sort of responsible for the perennials at work, so I occasionally wind up spending time with them (perennials are kind of a gray area, where it's kind of the greenhouse's responsibility and kind of the nursery lot's responsibility). It's not like I've gotten a yard recently or anything.