Monday, August 11, 2008

Pretty picture: Callirhoe involucrata


Another work plant. These only started blooming a couple weeks ago. I'm often surprised when a new plant at work starts flowering; I apparently always subconsciously assume that I've seen all the flowers already, and then something else starts to bloom and I realize no, wait, there's another one.

You'd think, now that it's been a year (today's the one-year anniversary for this job, actually), that I should have seen everything already, but in fact I was so overwhelmed when I started the job, just with trying to keep track of all the tropical plants, that I didn't even try very hard to figure out which perennials were which. So I should be able to keep discovering new stuff for years.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is one of the best perennials for dry soil in full sun ! It is a long blooming wildflower . Being still wild it has a few strong rules .Plant in poor soil with good drainage , pick your spot carefully because moving it once it settles in will kill it !
This is a weaver , it crawls around about 6 to 8 inches off the ground, blooming its head off . The branches get very long . If the blooming slows down cut it back ( by 1/3 at most ) It makes a nice cut flower that hangs down from the vase , mix it with other flowers going up ( as most do ) This pretty weed blooms longer than many fancy wellbreed perennials. Be warned the color is magenta with a hint of purple ( not everyone's favorite color in the garden but I love it ( mixes well with green flowers ) I think it bloomed almost 5 weeks . I killed mine by moving it and have not found one since. Thanks george plant queen from MA