Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Scent of Gardening

Would you buy this? For anybody?

Our most emblematic fragrance. We think of this as April 10th when the plowing begins in the Northeast U.S.. The turned earth with a touch of last season's corn stalks. Beautiful. Dirt is Earth and Earth is Dirt, not all Earth and not all Dirt are created equal.

There's more at the link, including a bunch of garbage about stones being created from a particular combination of earth, air, fire and water. (People! None of those are elements! That four-element theory hasn't been plausible for hundreds of years! I am not amused by your sad attempts at lyricism!) I don't think it's a parody. Getting harder to tell, though.

Picture from Demeter Fragrance.

Can anybody think of a reason why someone would want this product? They don't really explain at the site. I mean, dirt smells nice, it's true, but it's not normally all that expensive to smell like dirt, ya know? $11.50 for a 4-oz Bath and Shower Gel that smells like dirt? Are you joking?

(Hat-tip to Molecule of the Day for drawing my attention to this.)


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is exactly what I needed on this day! Thanks. If it wasn't so expensive it would make a great gag gift.

forest said...

Actually, I'm kind of intrigued by this. It's got to be better than the awful body odor of some people in the plant club (I mean that "have you EVER heard of a shower?"kind of smell). I see that the line also carries scents such as "Giant Sequoia", "Bonfire", "Cannabis flower", "Earthworm", "Fresh Hay", "Grass", "Greenhouse", and perhaps what I find most intriguing, "Poison Ivy." I've got to find some.

Don said...

Earth may be soil, but soil is not dirt.

Just my two scents.

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Wow, that would make a great gag gift. I have heard a professor of horticulture insist that Soil is not dirt because dirt is filth. Not my opinion. I call soil dirt all the time.

Anonymous said...

Well, Bertie Bott's dirt-flavored jelly bean was pretty good...

Korina

Benjamin Vogt said...

I use this stuff al the tims and it drives the Mrs. WILD. I mean, whooooooaaa. Meow.