Sunday, July 19, 2009

Random plant event: Nina's Impatiens

I posted not too long ago about an unknown plant in Nina's terrarium, that I thought had come in with the Calathea Ctenanthe burle-marxii I got for her. Then it budded, and that was exciting, though the bud made it look like the flower was going to be white, which I really didn't want it to be white for some reason.


Well, so now the flower has opened, and I'm pleased to report that it's not white:


The plant is also taking over the terrarium, kinda, which I suppose means I should cut it back or something. Not that the other plants have been complaining, yet, but it's not really where I would have wanted a plant that's this big, and I'm a little concerned. On the other hand, it's the only thing in there that's got a flower on it, and the flower is a pleasant medium pink color, and it's worked so hard to get there. So for now it stays.


4 comments:

Hermes said...

Lovely flower colour. You could take cuttings.

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

That's a really cute flower. How about some pictures of Nina? How is she doing?

mr_subjunctive said...

Well, the most adorable new development is that she's taken to sleeping all curled up in the base of the Vriesea at night. Apparently it's grown large enough to accomodate a sleeping anole. Less adorably, the last batch of crickets all kind of spontaneously disintegrated within a few days of arrival, which indicates either a problem with the terrarium or a problem with the crickets and I'm not sure which. I lean toward blaming the crickets.

I actually tried just yesterday to get some new pictures of the terrarium as a whole (it's hard to get pictures of Nina specifically, or even, often, to locate Nina, a lot of the time, because the plants have gotten considerably bigger in the last three months), but had lighting issues. And also the glass needs to be cleaned. I'll work on it, though.

lynn'sgarden said...

I love making terrariums as gifts but never thought to use impatiens in them..not worry to quick root rot?