Monday, July 12, 2010

Random Pretty Plant Event Picture: Hibiscus rosa-sinensis

Finally, the two Hibiscuses I bought last summer, and overwintered in the basement at considerable emotional cost, have gotten it together to bloom. While I've posted pictures of both of these before, at one time or another, I'm going to do it again, partly because I was beginning to think, after roughly eight bloomless months, that this was never going to happen again.


As you can see below, one of the Hibiscuses is not yet up to full speed. It may be flowering, but it's forgetting to make that fifth petal.


I've recently seen a plant like mine (which I bought as a NOID -- I actually thought I was getting a single orange bloomer like the first picture above) tagged as Hibiscus rosa-sinensis 'Mrs. Jimmy Spangler,' and in fact a search for that name more or less confirms the ID. (davesgarden.com, teasnursery.com) I like when plant IDs just fall into my lap like that.


2 comments:

Pat said...

What a coincidence. I woke this morning with the idea that the white roses referred to in the Passionflower quote I gave in the last post's comments could be a Hibiscus, the Rose of Sharon. They look a lot more like a Passionflower than any roses do.

Kenneth Moore said...

It might be the work monitor, or the fact that I've been pretty much MIA for weeks, but I am struck again by the quality of your new camera. Those photos look very nice, Mr. S!