Sunday, October 24, 2010

Pretty pictures: Aeschynanthus speciosus

Yet again, I had a different post planned for today, but not enough time to do the photos and graphics that would have to go with it. This is starting to become a problem.


So instead we have these lovely Aeschynanthus speciosus flower pictures, which are not especially timely (the show is pretty much over; these pictures were from early September), but they're new as far as the blog is concerned, so there you go.




This isn't the first time it's bloomed for me, but this year's display was bigger and more impressive than the previous two years'; with any luck, next year will be prettier still.


5 comments:

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Oh, very pretty. I don't think I've ever seen this plant before, let alone heard of it.

Pat said...

Lovely flowers. Are these under lights? Have you mentioned anywhere what sort of light density you need for the various houseplants you have tried? I have 4 x 24W T5 fluorescents for overwintering my tenderer plants that won't survive the windowsill when it gets cold and dark. 50cm x 50cm area and 25cm head clearance.

mr_subjunctive said...

Plowing Through Life:

It's the same genus as lipstick plants. It just doesn't have the large calyx (fused sepals) that they do, so the "lipstick" doesn't come out of a "tube."

Pat:

They're in a mostly-unobstructed east window year-round, though I grew them under lights when we were back in the apartment. Basically the same care as an African violet, though they handle drying out better.

I cover light requirements in the plant profiles, but I haven't tried to make comprehensive lists on the subject. Some of that has to do with not having a good way to standardize light levels: I have a light meter, but I don't actually use it for anything, partly because it's a bit awkward to use and partly because the numbers and units it produces don't really mean anything to me.

There's also the problem that in a lot of cases, I'm still trying to figure it out for myself.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I just bought an Aeschynanthus the other day so this is great to see.

Missy Flowers said...

They're very pretty!