Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Random plant event: Nematanthus 'Tropicana' flower

My original plan for today was to participate in Garden Bloggers Bloom Day again, but GBBD posts take a lot of time to put together and at this point (early Sunday morning) I'm still hoping that I can get the Persea americana profile together in time to finish by Wednesday. (UPDATE: I did.)

So, instead, we have a long-awaited (by me) Nematanthus 'Tropicana' bloom, which was still only in bud stage for the January GBBD. (Still only one flower, though: the other buds are taking longer.)

This may not be 'Tropicana;' I'm using that name because it's the only cultivar I've seen with striped flowers like this. It didn't have an ID when I bought it.

Happily, it's next to a NOID orange-blooming Nematanthus which has been flowering for a long time, so I've been able to attempt a little cross-pollination, too. May or may not work, but I figure it's worth trying when the opportunity arises.

Lots of gesneriads lately. This was originally accidental, but, one, once I realized I had a thing going, I decided to go along with it, and two, the Tennessee Gesneriad Society has been lurking around here lately (*waves*), so I figured I should post something relevant to their interests.


Carol Ann said...

It does look like 'Tropicana' and if you bought it commercially, especially if it was an "Exotic Angel Plant," it's probably 'Tropicana.' I really like 'Tropicana' because it's a good bloomer with long-lasting decorative calyces, but I mostly prefer the large-flowered Nemanthus like corticola (http://www.gesneriads.ca/nemata41.htm) with pendant red flowers dangling beneath the foliage.
(Tennessee Gesneriad Society member waving back!)

Tom said...

Wow, I've never seen that one before but I think it's my new favorite Nematanthus.

Tigerdawn said...

hmmm... I may need to get me one of those...