Tuesday, August 9, 2011

[Exceptionally] Pretty pictures: transmitted light -- Part XLIII

This week looks like it's going to be busy for me again. I couldn't bring myself to water yesterday or Sunday, it looks like I'm going to be going in to Iowa City again on Wednesday, and if I don't hurry up and get busy putting some of my plants up on Craigslist I'm never going to manage to sell them all. (I'm still selling plants, by the way.) Therefore, transmitted light photos.

(The previous transmitted light posts can be found here.)

P. S.: For anyone who was wondering: Sheba appears to be just fine, without any intervention at all. There was a piece of the nail still hanging off when we first discovered the problem, and we'd assumed that we'd have to take her to the vet to get it removed on Monday, but it disappeared on its own on Sunday. She still didn't like us getting near it on Sunday, but as of Monday she wasn't being protective of the foot anymore. So we're assuming that it's resolved itself, though we'll keep an eye on it for a couple more days just in case.

Bergenia 'Rosi Klose.' I'm not particularly familiar with Bergenia, although I probably should be (this picture was taken at the ex-job, and I assume they had them when I worked there).

Polypodium grandiceps. Surprisingly good houseplant for me so far, though if the plant dries out too much, any unfurling, immature fronds turn black and die, and that's happened a few times. It's also a little on the big side, though mine's not as big as the Phlebodium aureum 'Mandianum.' At least not yet.

Tolmiea menziesii.

Callisia repens.

Morus sp. Very happy with the way this one turned out, plain green though it may be.

Codiaeum variegatum NOID. Some part of me still feels like croton pictures are cheating.

Strelitzia reginae. A particularly fun transmitted light subject. S. nicolai has the same basic structure, but the cross veins are a lot less visible, so it looks more like stripes than like a bunch of little rectangles. Or at least I think that's how it works.

Acer sp., autumn.

Peperomia caperata.

Caladium 'Fire Chief.' Caladiums really suck indoors (at least they always have for me), which is a pity. I would love to be able to grow something like this in the house. Unfortunately, it's too cold in here (year round), and probably also not bright enough. I sort of intended to get some to plant in containers outside this year, but didn't get around to it, or couldn't afford it, or something. Perhaps next year.


5 comments:

orchideya said...

Nice to hear that Sheba is doing fine. I really like the pic of Strelitzia reginae leaf. Looks like set of small pixels strangely but meaningfully arranged into rows. Brings sort of high tech feeling to mind.

Derek said...

Yay for Sheeba!

I was just wondering why you thought Caladium suck indoors? I grow a bunch indoors and they're lovely. I tried some outdoors but San Francisco is too cold.

mr_subjunctive said...

Derek:

They don't grow many leaves, the leaves they do grow are small, the plant tends to be top-heavy or tangled in its neighbors, and the leaves are only out for a few months before the plant goes dormant and the show's over.

CelticRose said...

Glad to hear that Sheba's doing okay. :)

Derek said...

Sorry to hear it, Mr S. I'm only guessing here, but it sounds to me like they may be wanting more light. When mine are too far from the window, they get very small leaves with long stems. More light = shorter stems and bigger leaves. But, yeah, either way, about 4 months is all you'll get until next year.