Monday, October 31, 2011

Rumble Among the Jungle, Match 5.1

Results of match 4.5:

Well, the good news (for me) is that the Spathiphyllums' reign of terror is over: Echeveria et al. beat spaths by 76 to 54. The bad news (for me) is that I think I'd actually have preferred Spathiphyllum to win this time, given the alternative. (Echeverias are fine, but they don't grow that well for me indoors -- not enough light.) Oh well.

And now we're ready to start round 5. Only seven more matches remaining before we have a winner. . . .

Match 5.1
Saintpaulia cvv. (African violet) vs. Philodendron hederaceum cvv. (heart-leaf philodendron)

Saintpaulia cvv.
Top row, L-R: NOID, assorted NOIDs, NOID.
Middle row, L-R: NOID, NOID, NOID.
Bottom row, L-R: 'Harmony's Red Star,' 'Mellow Magic' close-up, NOID.


Clockwise from top left: Philodendron hederaceum 'Brasil,' P. hederaceum micans, NOID, P. hederaceum 'Aureum' or something similar, species, P. hederaceum 'Frilly Philly.'




3 comments:

Tom said...

Ok this one was oddly tough for me but in the end I think I made the right choice. Why do I have such a soft spot for Philodendrons?!

Anonymous said...

Is there some way we can see the eliminations, like a tree diagram or something? I haven't been following every day, so I think I've missed some steps, and I'm curious to see who beat whom.

mr_subjunctive said...

Anonymous:

I don't have anything terribly convenient for you, no. I've been keeping track on an Excel sheet, which is awkward and difficult to manage, but the best I've been able to come up with so far. Before I began, I looked for blank bracket diagrams that I could fill in, but most of them were for a smaller number of contestants than what I've got so it didn't really help.

If you want to see all the results to date, the best suggestion I can come up with right now is to click the RATJ tag at the end of any of the RATJ posts; it'll bring up all the posts to date (though you'll have to click "Older Posts" at the bottom of the page a few times to see everything -- it brings them up in batches. I thought the tags were supposed to only show five posts at a time, but when I tried just now it brought up twenty).

Or if you want, I could send you the spreadsheet, though I'm not sure how intelligible it'd be to someone who isn't me.