Rules and Stuff
1) It's probably possible to vote more than once per poll, but please don't. If I believe that someone is voting repeatedly, I will throw out those results, repost the poll, and seriously question that person's priorities.
2) If you want to link to a poll on Twitter / Facebook / your blog / whatever and encourage your friends to come and pump up the support for your favorite plants, you are encouraged to do so.
3) You are also encouraged to leave comments on Rumble posts, if so moved.
4) All photos will enlarge if opened in a separate window/tab.
5) You can choose which plant is "best" according to whatever criteria you decide for yourself. My personal process is a bit convoluted.1
6) All polls will be open for three days.
Results for matches 2.17 to 2.20:
In match 2.17, Dionaea muscipula made a good effort against Aeschynanthus cvv., but faded early, letting Aeschynanthus accumulate a slight lead. Which then turned into a bigger lead. Dionaea loses, 48 to 64.
Match 2.18 was a bit more complicated -- this was another one where the contestants swapped the lead back and forth a number of times before settling on a winner. In the end, Aechmea fasciata just didn't quite have what it took, falling to Spathiphyllum cvv. by 54 to 61.
Aeschynanthus cvv. goes up against Spathiphyllum cvv. in match 3.9. Voting begins on 19 October.
Pilea involucrata 'Norfolk' didn't really stand a chance against Chlorophytum comosum, in match 2.19: it lost 36 to 78.
In match 2.20, Echeveria cvv. (and relatives) absolutely beat the tar out of Kalanchoe luciae / thyrsiflora, winning 91 to 23. This is the second time that Echeveria et al. have gotten more than 75% of the vote; the only other competitor to do so thus far has been Saintpaulia cvv. This may mean that Echeveria is a serious contender for the championship, but it could also mean that it got some exceptionally wimpy opponents. Time will tell.
Chlorophytum comosum will try to break Echeveria's winning streak on 19 October, in match 3.9.
We are now ready to begin the third-round voting. I'm slowing things down a little and only posting two matches per day during round 3. I'll slow down even further (to one match per day) once we start round 4, about a week from now.
Clivia miniata cvv. vs. Cryptanthus cvv. (earth star)
Saintpaulia cvv. (African violet) vs. Epipremnum aureum cvv. (pothos)
Top row, L-R: NOID, assorted NOIDs, NOID.
Middle row, L-R: NOID, NOID, NOID.
Bottom row, L-R: 'Harmony's Red Star,' 'Mellow Magic' close-up, NOID.
1 I'm deciding according to a hypothetical situation in which all of my houseplants are gone, as are all the other houseplants of the world, except for one producer/supplier/retailer. Said person is offering to restock me with one or the other of the plants in question but refuses to give me both. Which one would I choose?