Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Pretty picture: NOID Cattleya Alliance

I thank everyone for their thoughts on the Expectations post. Even if I didn't comment back, I read what you said, I appreciate you taking the time to do so, and I may wind up replying to you (or at least referencing what you said) in a post later on.

For right now, I'm trying to digest the various suggestions and write e-mail responses to the people who wrote me e-mails. We'll revisit the topic eventually, though.

Meanwhile, normal subject matter resumes:


I don't remember taking this picture, but I'm pretty sure it's from the ex-job, not from the orchid show. This particular specimen leaves me unmoved. I suppose it's a perfectly flowery flower, as flowers go, but the Dendrobium from the previous post is way more interesting.

Mashup post coming this afternoon, so be ready for that.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Pretty'? Is that it? 2 of my slc's have just come into bloom and the fragrance is amazing. Orchids rule! :)

mr_subjunctive said...

Anonymous:

Well, "pretty picture" is a category, not a judgment. Though the flower does leave me kind of indifferent. I feel like I've seen it before, you know?

Tom said...

I know what you mean... I feel like there is no excitement left in Cattleyas...they're pretty but they're not...special? Even though they're available in a billion colors most cattleyas look like cattleyas, whereas Dendrobiums can look like 5 million different flowers. I'm not gonna lie though, I do appreciate a nicely scented cattleya if I see one but they're never the first thing to draw my eye. Wow that was a lot more long winded and ranty than I meant it to be. Oops.