Saturday, September 8, 2012

Walkaway: Aechmea 'Little Harv'

This is one of those plants that I would have been super-excited about if I'd encountered it in, say, 2009, when I still had money and space and was collecting plants faster than I ever had before (or ever would again). But it was a solid 3 or 4 feet (0.9-1.2 m) across and cost $50, so there was no way.


These pictures don't match my memory of the colors very well at all; in my memory, the bracts were more violet and less orange, and the leaves were less green and more gray. Google sides with my camera, though, in both cases, so apparently neem fumes have damaged my brain or something.


There was a pup to the side of the main plant (in the first picture, it's barely visible to the left of and slightly behind the parent), which I thought about asking if they'd sell to me. The size thing would eventually be a problem one way or the other, of course. More sensible impulses eventually prevailed. Maybe someday.



4 comments:

Matt Mattus said...

Reminds me to get more Bromeliads in pots. Ugh - like I need more plants to collect!

Sean Heffernan said...

Lovely plant! I hope one day one can find itself into your home. :)

Tom said...

Ohmygodohmygod i've always loved this plant unfortunately (fortunately?) it would take up half my living room so it'll never be mine

Anonymous said...

Lovely pictures & one of my fave Broms. I have a "thing" for giant Bromeliads. They do take up space, though! Luckly, I live in the CA Desert & I have a lot of yard for them.

Aechmea Little Harv, A. Zebrina & A. Blanchiata are all BIG & BEAUTIFUL, a must for every Collector. Hope u find space, somday!