Saturday, August 20, 2016

Pretty picture: Lycaste Capricorn

Not a lot to say about this one, except that I appreciate how the different blooms are facing different directions. A related plant1 at the show had two flowers of almost exactly the same size, facing almost exactly the same direction, and the photo looks like I took a picture of one and then photoshopped it using the clone tool. (You'll see its post in February.)


I couldn't find any photos to verify the ID here, but I'm assuming it's correct, in which case the ancestry information is:

Lycaste Capricorn = Lycaste lasioglossa x Lycaste Wyld Court (Ref.)


-

1 The relative is a Lycamerlycaste, an intergeneric hybrid of Lycaste and Sudamerlycaste. I'd never heard of the latter genus before writing this post, and I'm so happy I bothered to look it up. Sudamerlycaste appears partial to green flowers, which you wouldn't think would be that interesting or pretty, but oh my god. (S. locusta, from the "oh" and "god" pictures, is allegedly even apple-scented. Be still my heart.)


3 comments:

Virginia Burton said...

Oh my god is right! What an amazing plant! Do you see one in your future? Or have you foresworn orchids?

mr_subjunctive said...

Virginia Burton:

Foresworn, I think, since it didn't even occur to me to look for any to buy.

Paul said...

Interesting how deep a green the Sudamerlycaste flowers are. Most green flowers seem to be of a light green to chartreuse persuasion.