Sunday, February 3, 2008

Unfinished business re: Chlorophytum x 'Fire Flash'

Just updating the record to include pictures of the flower:


and the seed pods:


of Chlorophytum x 'Fire Flash.' Many of you will have seen these in person before, and will think me kind of lame for making a whole post out of these, but so it goes.

This particular flower stalk isn't the most impressive I've ever seen. I mean, it should be adequate as far as getting me all the seeds I could want and then some, but they do get a lot bigger than this.


3 comments:

Andrew said...

Quick question: is this a ripe seedpod ready to be harvested or how should they look when they're ready to go?

mr_subjunctive said...

Usually, I think I've waited until at least some of the seedpods on the stalk have turned black/brown before considering the stalk "done" enough to cut off. I don't plant the seeds until the pod has gone completely black/brown.

allandrewsplants said...

Alright, thanks. I may be rushing things a bit. Even though the pods I have are at least a few months old, many are still green. One has split on its own. Hopefully I'll get a few that grow, even if only from that one pod.