Saturday, July 9, 2011

Saturday morning Sheba and/or Nina picture


Nothing particularly interesting here. Sheba's a little freaked-out by fireworks, but we already knew that from last year. Nina got a new cricket delivery (though I have no idea how she's going to find/catch them -- I still haven't cut back the Pellionia). Same as it ever was.

Possibly of interest to the readership: I ran into an article at skeptifem this week that I thought was interesting, in light of how Cesar Millan has come up a few times at PATSP. The author's not one to mince words, as you can tell from the post's title: Cesar Millan is an asshole. I'm not necessarily endorsing this view -- I don't know Cesar Millan, I don't know anything in particular about dog training -- but she did manage to put a finger on something that's bothered me about his show but that I couldn't quite articulate, which is his tendency to come up with reasons why his techniques don't work for the dogs' owners only after they fail, rather than giving them more specific instructions first. It's very heads-I-win-tails-you-lose.

That's not the only criticism she makes, just the one that resonated with me. Go check it out (if you're so inclined) and let me know what you think.


2 comments:

CelticRose said...

Nice pic of Sheba.

I don't blame dogs for getting freaked out by fireworks. They're too loud for me, so it stands to reason that with their superior hearing and lack of understanding of the source of the sound that dogs should get scared by the noise.

safer midwifery utah said...

If you need more proof he is an asshole you should check out how he acted when he traveled to canada. They have a national pit bull ban and he wrote the government requesting an exception (as a super important tv star they really should make exceptions in their national laws for him, right?)

You're right that he might be perfectly nice otherwise, but his actions have a negative affect on some dog owners. Thanks for the link, btw, I will check out your blog too.