Friday, October 21, 2011

Pretty picture: Paphiopedilum Hampshire White Light

Okay, well, the lead-ban post is going to be Sunday, I guess. I hope. However, this is a pretty awesome Paphiopedilum, I think:


It's a little strange that I think so, because this paph has most of the characteristics I find boring in Phalaenopsis (light color; rounded, flattish petals/sepals). But somehow what's tedious in a phal is awesome in a paph.

That would probably work the other way around, too. I'd love to see the Phalaenopsis version of this paph, for example. Or this one.

Ancestry: Paphiopedilum Hampshire White Light is the offspring of Paph. Shapelight x Paph. Skip Bartlett.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

I was thinking the same thing. The white/creams are so boring. What makes Paphs special is the odd colouration and changes in patterning. I love this flower though. Very nice.

TheBlazingAugust said...

What a great Paph you have! Even though these colours can be sorta bland, it is great to something like this on a Paph, as this type of breeding is just coming into fruition. I think we will be seeing a lot more Paphs like this with improved colour and form!

mr_subjunctive said...

TheBlazingAugust:

Thanks, but:

1) It's not mine; I saw it at an orchid show last March.

2) You can tell it's not my orchid because it's alive and blooming. My orchid plants hate me, across the board, with the possible exception of the Phalaenopsis (and I think the phal is merely indecisive, and will come around to hating me any day now). I admire orchid flowers, but am completely useless at bringing them into existence.

3) Except one time, with a Dendrobium 'Karen,' which rebloomed a single flower for me, once, a few years ago. It has since died, of course.

TheBlazingAugust said...

Oh. . . umm. . . well then. . . what a pretty Paph! :D

mr_subjunctive said...

Agreed.