Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Rumble Among the Jungle, Matches 3.9 and 3.10

Rules and Stuff
1) It's probably possible to vote more than once per poll, but please don't. If I believe that someone is voting repeatedly, I will throw out those results, repost the poll, and seriously question that person's priorities.
2) If you want to link to a poll on Twitter / Facebook / your blog / whatever and encourage your friends to come and pump up the support for your favorite plants, you are encouraged to do so.
3) You are also encouraged to leave comments on Rumble posts, if so moved.
4) All photos will enlarge if opened in a separate window/tab.
5) You can choose which plant is "best" according to whatever criteria you decide for yourself. My personal process is a bit convoluted.1
6) All polls will be open for three days.


Results of matches 3.1 and 3.2:

Greensparrow, paivi, and Paul are going to be upset by 3.1: Clivia beat Cryptanthus, 65 to 50.

I found 3.2 really interesting to watch, because close votes usually swing back and forth between competitors, with one plant in the lead, then the other plant, then the first one again. Saintpaulia cvv. and Epipremnum aureum were frequently tied, but Saintpaulia grabbed a one- or two-vote lead after the first day, and remained either tied or with a tiny lead thereafter. Epipremnum remained close enough that it could have caught up at any moment, but it didn't: by the end, Saintpaulia had built a seven-vote lead, winning 63 to 56.

Clivia miniata cvv. and Saintpaulia cvv. will come together on 23 October, in match 4.1. Until then, we have more round 3 matches:

Match 3.9
Aeschynanthus spp. (lipstick plant, goldfish plant) vs. Spathiphyllum cvv. (peace lily)

Clockwise from top: Aeschynanthus lobbianus or A. radicans, A. longicaulis, A. speciosus.


Center and left top: Spathiphyllum NOID, possibly 'Golden Glow.' Bottom left: NOID, possibly 'Domino.' Top right: NOID, possibly 'Sensation' or 'Mauna Loa.' Bottom right: NOID.






Match 3.10
Chlorophytum comosum cvv. (spider plant) vs. Echeveria cvv. and related plants (Sedeveria, Graptoveria, Pachyveria, etc.)

Clockwise from left: Chlorophytum comosum 'Vittatum,' C. comosum 'Vittatum,' NOID.


Top row, L-R: Echeveria 'Perle von Nurnberg,' E. 'Topsy Turvy,' E. setosa.
Middle row, L-R: Graptosedum 'Alpenglow - Vera Higgins,' Echeveria coccinea flowers, Echeveria 'The Rose.'
Bottom row, L-R: Echeveria nodulosa, Pachyveria x glauca, Echeveria x shaviana 'Pinky.'


DO NOT RE-VOTE IN THIS VERSION OF 3.10 IF YOU WERE PREVIOUSLY ABLE TO GET THROUGH ON THE FIRST VERSION; THOSE VOTES WILL BE COUNTED.




-

1 I'm deciding according to a hypothetical situation in which all of my houseplants are gone, as are all the other houseplants of the world, except for one producer/supplier/retailer. Said person is offering to restock me with one or the other of the plants in question but refuses to give me both. Which one would I choose?


10 comments:

CelticRose said...

The voting box isn't showing up for Match 3.10.

I'm bummed that Pothos lost, but I had a feeling that was going to happen when it went up against Saintpaulia. :(

Ricardo said...

Hi! It might be my browser, but couldn't vote for match 3.10; the voting box was not visible for some reason. Thought you'd like to know. I'm having a lot of fun with this, thanks for all the effort you put on the blog. Have been following for a while, although this is my first comment. Cheers!

mr_subjunctive said...

CelticRose and Ricardo:

I deleted the code for 3.10 and then put it back in. I was able to vote for it, then, but some people were apparently already able to get to it (when I did the edit, 3.9 had 9 votes and 3.10 had 3), so I'm not sure what's going on. Let me know if the problem persists.

Nate said...

3.10 isn't working for me either.

mr_subjunctive said...

Nate:

I didn't know what else to try, so I created a completely new poll for 3.10 and will just add the votes that the first one got (7 for Chlorophytum, 14 for Echeveria).

If the new one doesn't show either, then I think we've hit the limits of what I can do to fix it.

If anybody is still unable to vote in 3.10, you can leave a comment with your vote and I'll add it to whatever PollDaddy comes up with.

Tom said...

Excellent, both of mine won for a change!

paivi said...

Re: match 3.1 - bummer. Come on, Clivia miniata lovers, why?!

Pity about pothos, but at least Saintpaulia is sure to trash Clivia in 4.1.

3.9 is a difficult one. I have no opinion on Aeschynanthus spp. and for all I know, it could be a terrible houseplant, but I dislike peace lilies to the point of voting against them whenever possible.

Paul said...

Definitely disappointed the Clivia won. Still can't imagine why it did -- it's a b**ch to bloom and the leaves are BORING.

I too don't like Spathiphyllums. Like Paivi, I didn't vote for Aeschynanthus ... I voted against Spathiphyllum.

Ricardo said...

OK, it's working now. Thanks!

CelticRose said...

3.10 is working now. :) I was able to vote against the cursed spider plant. :P