Saturday, June 16, 2012

Saturday morning Sheba and/or Nina picture

They said it would never happen. Some even said it couldn't be done. But I've done it: I cleaned and replanted Nina's terrarium.

She got part of a strawberry as a house re-warming gift, though as far as I could tell she didn't actually eat any of it.

Gone is the Pellionia pulchra. It grew well, it handled drought like a champ, but it choked out everything else, and eventually started choking out itself, even. So behold the next crew:

1: Murraya paniculata (seedling)
2, 4, 6, and 7: Begonia 'Tiger Kitten' cutting (4) and rooted leaves (2, 6, 7)
3: Ctenanthe burle-marxii
5: Episcia 'Coco'

The Ctenanthe has lived with Nina before, and did awesomely; I'm less sure about the other plants. They should all be fine in a terrarium, but I don't know if they'll be fine with the transplanting (which was kind of rough on the Begonias in particular) or the inevitable cricket-nibbling. There's also some danger that the Episcia and Ctenanthe may grow fast enough to crowd out the other plants. It's not even a particularly hypothetical danger, since that's basically what the Ctenanthe did the last time it was in the terrarium.

But we'll worry about all that other stuff later: right now all I care about is that I actually got it cleaned up, after many months of procrastinating, and consequently should be able to enjoy several guilt-free months before I have to do it again. It's surprising how much of a load off my mind that is.


Ginny Burton said...

It looks lovely and I'm sure Nina is thrilled.

CelticRose said...

Hey, there was an anole under all those plants!

It looks great. :)

Liza said...

Whoever tried to sell terrariums as maintenance-free was full of it! They grow so fast!

Tom said...

I feel for ya...I keep looking at my fish tank and see that I can't actually SEE the fish and think "one day i need to clean the algae"...and never do. Right now it's a giant weight on my shoulders (so what am I doing? Reading plant blogs of course!).

CelticRose said...

@Tom: When we had fish, we solved that problem by having fish and/or snails that would eat the algae.

mr_subjunctive said...


I have that problem too, with my aquarium, though. Have an algae eater, but I don't think s/he spends much time actually eating the algae. Or if s/he does, it grows faster than s/he's able to keep up with.

I had an accidental infestation of snails at one point (brought in with a plant), who did a pretty good job keeping the tank clean, but they all died off a while ago. So did the plant. I've tried Plecostomous before, too, more than once. They die pretty much immediately.

So I use razor blades. (More accurately: if I cleaned the algae off the aquarium walls, razor blades are what I would do it with. In actuality, I don't do this, and the walls are getting kind of opaque.)

Anonymous said...

Look at Nina! She looks great for an old girl. Mr.S, you're a good mom. Much love to you and yours.


cave76 said...

I agree with Lisa about maintainence-free terrariums! NOT! lol