Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Anthurium no. 0314 "Camille Yen"

Alisa, the last Anthurium seedling I wrote about, is from the same batch of seeds as today's seedling, Camille. They're both the children of the NOID pink, and were sown on 26 January 2013. If they were human sisters, Alisa would be the pretty one, and Camille would be the jock: Camille's most striking trait is that she is enormous.

It's difficult to get photos that illustrate that effectively, but when you look at this, keep in mind that the pot is only 4 inches / 10 cm in diameter:


Not only are the leaves big, but the petioles are unusually long too. Camille sort of reminds me of 0255 "Steph N. Wolfe" that way.


Sadly, the blooms are merely average-sized (though I suppose this is only the first try; they may get bigger), and the only special thing about the color is that the spadix is sort of purple. I like to try to guess the pollen parents, but nothing seems to point in any particular direction: the NOID pink has pretty big leaves, with a dull texture; no likely fathers have purplish spadices; petiole length sort of indicates the NOID pink, 'Pandola' or the NOID red. So I suppose if I had to make a guess, I'd guess NOID pink x itself, since the NOID pink is one of the few parents where that's plausible.

In any case.

This is the only photo I have of an individual leaf.


Impressive size, though the texture's kinda blah.

So, you know: fine, but the only thing Camille's got going for her is her impressive size. I'll probably keep her around until I've seen one or two more blooms to see what she does, because why the hell not. She may be a keeper, she may not.


No comments: