Sunday, August 30, 2009

Pretty pictures: Euphorbia milii cvv.

Just some close-up pictures of Euphorbia milii from my former job. These came in as I was leaving, plus or minus a couple weeks. Most of the pink and dark pink ones have sold now; the yellows are still mostly there. This seems weird to me: surely yellow is a less common, more desirable color?




Meanwhile: I have an E. milii at home with salmon-pink flowers. Or, rather, I have an E. milii at home without salmon-pink flowers. Part of the problem is that I think I'm not watering it often enough, so it's dropped a lot of leaves since it arrived, but also it's probably not getting enough light even though I'm doing the best I can. (Near-total lack of south windows is kind of a problem.) Not sure if this is remediable, but I'm working on trying to rearrange stuff so it can get more light. We'll see.




3 comments:

Corynocarpus lady ;-) (plant died) said...

I bought an Euphoriba milli in February. It's in the window sill (South window, Netherlands) and takes full midday sun. It growes and flowers like crazy. When I water I dunk the pot and let it go (almost) dry. It thrives this way, despite the heat that builds up behind the glass. No signs of burn or whatever. No leaf loss etc.

I guess you've read too that they need plenty of light to flower and that they shed leafs when they are not watered enough?

Sof far my plant does well, but I wonder what it needs during Autumn and Winter. Does it need a cooler or maybe dry rest period? Any suggestions?

Nicole

mr_subjunctive said...

The dropping leaves when too dry is more just a matter of observation: the ones we had at work when I was there always seemed to be dropping leaves all the time until I started making a point of watering them more often, and then they stopped doing it so much.

The light thing, I'm just kind of guessing. A lot of flowering plants won't flower if they aren't getting adequate light, and this plant is in a spot that gets a lot of indirect light bounced off of the lawn, but very little direct sun. It also doesn't seem to be otherwise unhealthy.

I haven't really read up on them yet, but I would guess that a drier winter is probably in order, if for no other reason than that they'll probably slow down growth and won't be taking water up as fast. If I run into a more conclusive answer, I'll try to let you know, but I'm planning on doing a lot of running around today, so I may or may not find anything.

Blueszz said...

Don't worry,
I can find the information about Fall and Winter care myself. I hoped you could tell me from your own expierence :D

BTW the Corynocarpus I emailed you about died and I think it was due to overwatering. I think this happened before I got it as I hardly watered it myself and checked with a skewer the moisture of the soil. It never seemd to dry. Today I unpotted the remains and found fungus around the roots.

Trashed it a few minutes ago.

Nicole