Saturday, October 22, 2011

Rumble Among the Jungle, Matches 3.15 and 3.16

Rules and Stuff
1) It's probably possible to vote more than once per poll, but please don't. If I believe that someone is voting repeatedly, I will throw out those results, repost the poll, and seriously question that person's priorities.
2) If you want to link to a poll on Twitter / Facebook / your blog / whatever and encourage your friends to come and pump up the support for your favorite plants, you are encouraged to do so.
3) You are also encouraged to leave comments on Rumble posts, if so moved.
4) All photos will enlarge if opened in a separate window/tab.
5) You can choose which plant is "best" according to whatever criteria you decide for yourself. My personal process is a bit convoluted.1
6) All polls will be open for three days.


Results of matches 3.7 and 3.8:

In match 3.7, Schlumbergera cvv. stomped Platycerium spp. pretty hard (73 to 32), which is more or less what I expected to happen.

Match 3.8 was surprising only in how close it was -- I wasn't sure which plant I expected people to prefer (and personally had a hard time choosing), but I figured most of the votes would come down on one side or the other. Though basically tied for the first couple days, Hibiscus rosa-sinensis pulled ahead in the last half of the competition, and defeated Cordyline fruticosa 56 to 49.

Today's matches:

Match 3.15
Aeonium spp. vs. Tillandsia spp. (air plants)

Clockwise from top: Aeonium 'Kiwi,' 'Irish Bouquet,' A. arboreum atropurpureum 'Zwartkop.'


Left side, top to bottom: Tillandsia xerographica, T. capitata 'Peach.'
Center, top to bottom: NOID, NOID, T. ionantha 'Druid.'
Right side, top to bottom: NOID, T. abdita Mexican form.






Match 3.16
Agave spp. vs. Calathea spp./cvv.

Clockwise from top left: Agave victoriae-reginae, A. americana medio-picta alba, NOID (maybe A. desmettiana?), A. marmorata.


Clockwise from top left: Calathea ornata, C. roseo-picta 'Medallion' (?), C. makoyana, C. insignis, C. zebrina.






-

1 I'm deciding according to a hypothetical situation in which all of my houseplants are gone, as are all the other houseplants of the world, except for one producer/supplier/retailer. Said person is offering to restock me with one or the other of the plants in question but refuses to give me both. Which one would I choose?


6 comments:

danger garden said...

21 to 17....I'm feeling a little nervous about the agave battle. Notice however that I am stoping short of threatening violence, that would be unlady-like.

Liza said...

In the battle between Agave and spider mites, I'm going with Agave every time. Who are these mysterious Calathea fans?

mr_subjunctive said...

Liza:

I dunno; I voted for Agave ultimately, but I had to think about it for a while, because I've managed to keep a Calathea going for eighteen months now and am feeling a little cocky about this. Both genera have nice qualities.

Liza said...

Wow, 18 months? You should feel cocky, that's impressive. I've never had any luck with them. But I do think they are quite attractive.

Paul said...

Very disappointed to see that Spathiphyllum won. I've never cared for that plant.

Even more depressing was cycad's loss to the philo --- I don't mind philos per se, but cycads are cool prehistoric things.

mr_subjunctive said...

Paul:

Cycas may be cool, but I couldn't back them against the Philodendrons -- I didn't enjoy the one I've had, and have no interest in getting another. The Philodendrons at least stay alive for me.