Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Music Video: Rappy "The Power of Creep" (Celine Dion / Radiohead mashup)

Last January was mashup month here at PATSP. I'm not necessarily planning to do that again, but I've found a couple interesting mashups floating around, so we'll do a couple, at least.

Both are extremely unlikely combinations that nevertheless manage to work. (As strange as Celine Dion and Radiohead together might be, the next mashup is even more extreme, so you have that to look forward to.)

Also notable about this one: this is one of the rare cases where the video significantly improves the experience of the song. (Be patient: it doesn't really get going until about 2 minutes in.)



 

BONUS LATE ADDITION:

Just 'cause I get sick of everybody complaining every four years about how unfair it is that Iowa gets to go first in the Presidential Caucus / Primary system when we're all a bunch of dumb conservative religious hicks with less sense than our livestock:



Relevant YouTube comment:

Iowa also was the home to the nation's first mosque. [On a technicality; read the link. -Mr. S.] Iowa consistently ranks in the top three in average SAT scores by state. [Very probably because the SATs are written and scored by Iowans, though. -Mr. S.] It's the birthplace of Norman Borlaug, the only person to be awarded both the Nobel Peace Prize and the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Oh, and Capt. James Tiberius Kirk is from there. For the uninitiated: The computer invention reference is to John Vincent Atanasoff. Oh, and Ames, Iowa has its own strain of anthrax named after it! Booyah!
(-isefire; links added by mr_subjunctive)

What's especially irritating about this is that generally the comments I see like that are coming from liberals. There was a time when progressives didn't sneer at people just for being rural. I mean, some Iowans sure as hell are dumb conservative religious hicks with less sense than livestock, but you can actually find those people in Florida / New York / California / etc. too: it's not an Iowan thing, or even a midwestern thing. Deal with your own idiots, and leave our idiots alone.


7 comments:

grumblebunny said...

*stares at mashup*

I have imagined many things in my time, but I never imagined this.

*continues staring*

mr_subjunctive said...

grumblebunny:

Glad I could blow your mind.

Tom said...

Iowa: Idiots Out Walking Around :) I've actually never really minded the place, I think it's quite pretty/not really any different from Minnesota (which in my mind is heaven on Earth). Most of my favorite/smartest friends back home are from Iowa so I've always found it odd that people act like it's full of dumb hicks. Now the Dakotas on the other hand...

mr_subjunctive said...

Tom:

There are fine people in the Dakotas as well. One of them even comments here semi-regularly.

Tom said...

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo it's not allowed! Ok fine I guess it is, actually my best friend from college was from South Dakota and I've lived in North Dakota so I know that one isn't so horrible either. One would think my hatred of lakes would make both states appealing. I just find their complete lack of cities...amusing? That and I'm a terrible person.

Thomas said...

Surprised no one has mentioned that gay marriage is legal in New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, Iowa and the District of Columbia. Doesn't seem like such shabby company.

Thomas said...

Oh, and I liked that mashup, thanks.