Monday, February 6, 2012

Random plant event: Rhipsalis NOID

My NOID Rhipsalis bloomed at the end of January. The flowers weren't particularly interesting -- especially not by comparison with most cactus flowers -- but it was still something I hadn't seen before.

It's tiny.

I don't yet know if they're self-fertile, but it looks like they may be; the flowers (there were two; these pictures are of the first) are no longer open, but the base of the flowers appears to be swelling. I suppose we'll know more in a few months.

The bud of the second flower is visible in the close-up, behind the open flower.

Sorry this isn't much; I'd intended to do a different post today and couldn't figure out how to end it, so I threw this post together at the last minute last night.


2 comments:

Bom said...

That is a very tiny flower. About 0.5mm?

mr_subjunctive said...

Bom:

Probably more like 5-10 mm (diameter).