Friday, January 1, 2016

Unpretty pictures: Bulbophyllum oxypterum

Sometimes when I title a post "unpretty pictures," it's a little tongue-in-cheek, and the pictures aren't actually that bad. This is not one of those times, though.


I mean, not that it isn't still interesting. B. pterophyllum is actually sort of fascinating. But pretty it isn't.


It would be a very long project to try to determine whether this is the single strangest orchid I've ever seen, but it's surely a contender, at least. Sort of like an Epiphyllum, but somehow even uglier. At least Epiphyllum have nice flowers.


Sure, I've grown and enjoyed plants whose appeal wasn't immediately obvious, but damn.


5 comments:

Ivynettle said...

Wow, that really is a weird plant! (And now, of course, my new goal in life is to see one of those in person.)

Eric said...

Seeing that white ribbon hanging on it makes me think the judges' panel thought, "We don't care if that's the best example of Bulbophyllum we ever hope to see, we are simply not giving this thang a blue ribbon."

One said...

Wow, neat! I wish my country's only orchid show would have had one of these last year. The care for orchids sounds intuitive enough to me as a fern and fungus enthusiast but with the focus being so squarely on pretty flowers, they've been difficult for me to get into.

Pattock said...

Having seen a kiwano and some romanesco in the latest Star Wars film, I can't help thinking this plant must have guest spots in science fiction films or series.

Saby said...

I can't say it's pretty but it sure is fascinating!