Thursday, January 10, 2008

Random plant event: Chlorophytum x 'Fire Flash' flowers

So . . . you remember a few days ago, when I posted about Chlorophytum x 'Fire Flash,' and I said I didn't know how to get them to bloom but suspected that it might be a day-length, time-of-year thing? Well, it looks like I was half-remembering something correctly, because one of the two is preparing to flower again, which prompted me to look in the journal; they were both getting ready to flower on January 6 last year. So it's officially a theory.

The flower doesn't look like anything in particular so far, since it's only just getting going. But nevertheless, it's the stuff coming out of the center of the plant to the right (there's one single leaf emerging to the left):



It's a little tough to get good pictures of this when the flower, petioles, midveins, and new leaves of the plant are all the same color, but this will progress over time. There's more just-discovered flowering, involving a different species, coming tomorrow.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you keep this plant long enough to get photos of the flower stalk with babies on it - I'd love to see what that looks like!