Thursday, April 3, 2008

Random plant event: Vinca minor sport

Another new little mutant (the first mutant is still doing fine, though it's not growing very fast, which has me a little concerned. Not that it should be growing fast -- it's a Dracaena -- but until it's big enough that we can propagate it, there's only the one plant, and we don't have a backup should something go wrong, and not having a backup makes me very nervous indeed), this time on a Vinca minor.



The picture isn't the greatest; it's hard to get a good close photo with my camera. Or maybe it's easy and I just haven't figured out how yet. But this is good enough that you can see the basic coloration scheme, and also what the parent looked like (the parent is on the left). I don't have high hopes for this as a patentable plant, just because there's so little green area on the leaves that I'm guessing it's not going to be very vigorous, but it'd be a pretty striking filler plant if it could be kept from reverting. So we'll see how it goes.


3 comments:

Priscilla George said...

Wow that looks interesting. Isn't it great when a plant does something strange for you. I can't wait to see if the variegated one will make it and what it will grow to be.

Julie said...

I really like the looks of this plant...it is so light and lovely!
I hope it defies the odds, and can do well, and thrive!!!

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

That's a really cool looking plant; I love the colours. I also hope it defies the odds and thrives.