Thursday, August 11, 2011

Pretty picture: Dendrobium Spider Lily


This Dendrobium has been on the blog before, but the orchid show had it again, so I took a picture of it again. 'Cause I'm simple like that. Pretty sure it was the same specimen again, too, because 1) how many can there be in the area? and 2) surely it can't be a coincidence that they had the same annoying, outline-breaking background up behind the flowers this year that they had last year, right?

I did look up the ancestry this time. Spider Lily is a cross of Den. Roy Tokunaga and Den. alexandrae; Roy Tokunaga is a cross of D. atroviolaceum and D. johnsoniae. The flowers, to me, look most like D. alexandrae, though alexandrae is much more heavily freckled.


5 comments:

orchideya said...

You are right about background. I noticed here on our annual show they usually put black cloth behind the orchids, it shows a bit better.
Pretty flower anyway.

mr_subjunctive said...

(Google Translate translates the above comment as "Where is the beautiful," in Danish. I don't know how to answer this.)

Jenn said...

May be of some interest to you:


Image 26

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2011/08/11/captured-journey-to-north-korea/4585/

Flowers known in North Korea as "Kimilsungia"

The Phytophactor said...

Uh-oh! We've start blogging about the same things on the same day. Is this something to worry about?

Sunita Mohan said...

Oh! I've never seen anything like these. This is lovely. I grow phal-type dendrobiums, quite a few of them actually, and have been planning on cutting down on buying more but now I find myself craving a D.Spider Lily.