Friday, October 10, 2014

Pretty picture: Masdevallia Annette Hall

We were without internet access for like twenty-five hours on Wednesday / Thursday and it was exactly like that one episode of Little House on the Prairie where they lose their internet access and Pa Ingalls has to take the horses out into the blizzard to chop it free or whatever, except that the snow is so deep and the internet is so heavy that when he loads it all on the horse to take back to the cabin, the horse can't move, so Pa builds a barn around the horse and the two of them just stay outside like that until the snow all melts in the spring and Laura and all the lesser Ingallses missed everything that happened on Facebook for, like, the whole winter.


This plant didn't, like, blow me away at the show or anything, but the photo turned out nicely. I'm this close to being more depressed that I can't grow Masdevallias than I am about not being able to grow Paphiopedilums.

Masdevallia Annette Hall = Masdevallia Copper Angel x Masdevallia Manco Inca (Ref.)


7 comments:

Ginny Burton said...

Arlington County Library is holding a book sale and I noticed one that was about growing orchids. I nearly bought it for you, but figured that either you already had it, or it would just be rubbing salt into the wound. I'm going back on Sunday when everything is marked way down. If it's still there, should I get it for you?

Paul said...

If their cool temperature requirement is the issue, there are warmth tolerant hybrids and even a few warm growing species out there. (The latter can be very difficult to find offered, however.

mr_subjunctive said...

Ginny Burton:

NO. I have a book about orchid-growing already. (I don't know that it's necessarily a great book, but it's a book.) A few orchids will grow here under the conditions I'm willing to offer, and I am trying very hard to be satisfied with those.

Aaron said...

I'd second trying to dig up some of the warmth-tolerant Masdevallia; definitely one of my favourite orchid genera. I've found that the pleurothallids I've tried in semi-hydro culture have done well if the requirement for frequent watering is the issue.

Anonymous said...

Hydroculture seems to suit orchids in general very well. I used to kill so many orchids before I started potting almost everything in hydroton.

However I wouldn't blame you for deciding not to get any more orchids. If you really got into collecting orchids, you would need to build an extension onto your home to hold all the new plants.

Gardens at Waters East said...

That is really a very interesting flower. And the bright RED - Wow! JC

Hoehoegrow said...

I'm pretty sure I saw that episode of "Little house on the prairie' too! I was without a laptop for a whole week and reverted to knitting socks and playing Scrabble. If only I'd had a horse and cart...