Friday, May 22, 2009

Random plant event: Susan fights back

Noticed one of the black-eyed susan vines (Thunbergia alata) at work doing something interesting the other day. Normally, the flowers are a bright yellow-orange, with a dark brown, almost black, center. This one lacked the brown center.

I tried to get a picture of the two of them side-by-side, for comparison purposes, but unfortunately, none of those pictures turned out very well: the normal flower's dark center wound up just looking like a shadow. So here's what the flower usually looks like:

And here's the weirdo:

I don't like the light-centered flower nearly as well as I do the dark-centered one. Not sure why. It's just somehow not as interesting.


Jesska said...

That does look quite strange! It looks like someone took the center right out of it! Is this a normal variety? Or is it a defect?

Ivynettle said...

I've seen seeds of a variety like that. Didn't like them either. I mean, the whole point of a black-eyed susan is that it's "black-eyed", right? Without that, it looks... I don't know... naked.

mr_subjunctive said...

It wasn't supposed to be like that -- I would have sworn that they were supposed to be a mix of white, yellow, and orange, with dark centers. So far, though, all the flowers I've seen have been orange, and then the one doesn't have the dark center. So I don't know what's going on.