Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Pretty picture: Oxalis regnellii flowers


I tried growing an Oxalis triangularis (very similar to O. regnellii but green instead of purple) a couple years ago, but it didn't go well; I gave up on it when it started to go dormant, 'cause I didn't know they'd come back. I know better now, but don't have that much interest in them. Maybe if they didn't have to go dormant every so often, but unfortunately they do.

I also have some concerns about why a dark purple Oxalis (family Oxalidaceae) with pointed leaflets and large pink flowers is considered an appropriate substitute for a green Trifolium (family Fabaceae) with rounded leaflets and heads of multiple tiny white flowers. One is a shamrock; the other is clearly something else. But I suppose strict historical authenticity is not the point, since it became a bigger drinking holiday than a religious / cultural one.

I concede that the Oxalis has much better decorative potential.


4 comments:

Liza said...

Hmmm, I guess just because purple is better than green.

Kenneth Moore said...

Oh. That's why there are Oxalis all over the grocery stores and garden centres here in DC?

Huh. I guess any three-leafleted plant could be in high demand right about now. What else is there that fits the bill?

mr_subjunctive said...

I've actually seen, a couple years ago, people trying to sell Pilea depressa as "leprechaun toes." Other than that, I can't think of anything particularly Saint-Patricky. But give it time.

Kenneth Moore said...

Marketing ingenuity. Truly clever people.