Monday, February 21, 2011

Pretty picture: Schlumbergera 'Caribbean Dancer' reprise


You know, I was prepared to sort of dislike 'Caribbean Dancer.' I mean, it's pretty, but . . . I don't know. I just figured there had to be a trade-off: if it's really pretty, then it must be really disease-prone, or hard to bring into bloom, or something like that. But so far, except for whatever weird thing it was doing last summer, it's behaved perfectly. This spring's blooming isn't as impressive as last spring's, but 'Caribbean Dancer' is the only one of my six Schlumbergera varieties to rebloom for me.


2 comments:

Ivynettle said...

I'm growing really fond of Schlumbergeras. It's very hard not to buy too many of them - I've not had any trouble getting them to re-bloom (admittedly, not many buds right now, but they were great in autumn), and apart from the one that just fell to pieces, they've never given me any trouble.
Rhipsalidopsis is the same - now that they're appearing in the shops again, it'll take some serious self control to stick to my one-per-season rule (since the two I have are full of buds, and I was only going to buy more if I could rebloom them)

Liza said...

After Christmas, one of the nurseries in town gave leftover Schlums away for free. I found myself at the counter saying, "No thanks," but then I thought, wait, what? It's free, how can I refuse?

I'm looking forward to seeing what color blooms it has.