Sunday, March 27, 2011

Newish Plants

I haven't been buying many plants lately; the numbers have been climbing, but mostly that's due to propagation, with a smaller number from declaring older cuttings or seedlings officially plants. But there have been a few purchases, and a lot of walkaways (which may be covered in a post or two later). It's not like I've stopped looking.

Aloe nobilis.

The Aloe nobilis was previously mentioned as a walkaway. I went back for it later.

Sedum burrito.

I got the Sedum mostly because I felt guilty. I asked someone who worked at the store if they sold flats ever, because I was out of flats for 4-inch pots at home (I don't know how that happened either; all the new stuff is in 3-inch pots), and she just went and got me six and gave them to me, no charge. So then I felt like I had to buy something, but they didn't have very much. (They'd started a bunch of new things, but a lot of them weren't established yet.) I don't actually like Sedum burrito, or at least I don't think I do, but I like S. morganianum a lot, so we'll have a burrito. Worst that can happen is that it fails to appeal more with time.

Rhipsalis rhombea? R. micrantha?

The most recent of the three is this weirdo. It didn't have a tag, but the Exotic Angel website says it's Rhipsalis micrantha. I found pictures at cactiguide.com and davesgarden.com that make me think it's probably not micrantha, but I don't know how to determine what it is. I don't know how anybody tells any Rhipsalis species apart, honestly: they don't all look the same, but they all sort of blur into one another.

In any case, though, it's very shiny and green, and I'm excited about it. Apparently, I'm into the epiphytic cacti without intending to be. (At the moment, I count 48 individual plants here, of the genera Epiphyllum, Hatiora, Hylocereus, Pseudorhipsalis, Rhipsalis, Schlumbergera, and Selenicereus. They're sneaky that way.) Epiphytes are the new black, or something.


8 comments:

Tigerdawn said...

Well, if you decide you really don't like the sedum, it can come live with me. :-)

Derek said...

I've got that Sedum burrito, too, and they do get lovely over time, but they drop their leaves if you even think about touching them, so my advice is pot it in something larger, set it out of the way somewhere, and never touch it again. Fortunately, when the little burrito leaves fall, they'll root, so if you keep chucking them back in the pot you'll have a nice large plant over time. (Forgive me if you know all this already.)

Unknown said...

Lovely acquisitions! I was given a primula the other day when visiting a not-yet-open nursery (it's still winter here) and that reminded me that I haven't brought home any new indoor plants for weeks. Must correct that!

Ivynettle said...

I don't like cacti for the most part, but I do like the epiphytic ones. One of the garden centres I visit far too often has hanging baskets of something that looks similar to your Rhipsalis, and it's a constant struggle not to buy it. Total lack of self control on the Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis front, though. But I feel OK about that right now, with most of them blooming.

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

A former employer of mine had a sedum like that and it was a very lovely plant. They do drop their leaves easily, but they all root. My boss used to toss them back into the pot when they fell, and they just grew on. The plant was very easy to care for and it looked great. I picked one up quite a few years ago and it did well for me, too. Don't remember what happened to it. I may have had to give it up during one of my moves, or something like that. I feel like picking another one up now.

mrbrownthumb said...

I agonized over buying a 'burrito' too but I luckily found the will power to not do it. I liked it, and wanted another, just not at the price they were asking.

Bom said...

48 new plants?!! Or is that your epiphytes? Either way, very impressive.

mr_subjunctive said...

Bom:

No, 48 epiphytic cacti. The three plants in the post are the only new ones I've bought recently.