Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Random plant event: Vriesea splendens blooming!

I'm very excited about this; it's the first bromeliad I've ever rebloomed. I've had this two and a half years, which feels like maybe it's too young to rebloom, but I've repotted it semi-recently (last fall?), and I've watered at least a couple times with the Miracle Gro, so I suppose I've been encouraging it.


I know this isn't a great angle on the inflorescence, but you're not missing much: right now, it's still very narrow. I don't know if this indicates that it's going to be an underwhelming bloom, or if it just has a lot of development yet to go. (The color implies the latter.) Either way, this is feeling like a huge accomplishment. Vriesea splendens was already one of my two favorite bromeliads (the other being Aechmea fasciata), but now I like it that much better.


3 comments:

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Yay! That IS exciting. Bromeliads don't bloom easily (at least they don't for me), so it's always a big event if one of them does. Make sure to post photos of the bloom as it grows; it's quite a sight.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm glad for you :) I'm also very excited to see the development of the inflorescence.

Paul said...

Congrats!

Last time mine bloomed I cheated -- I gave it the apple treatment