Friday, March 4, 2011

Random plant event: Nematanthus Pollination Achievement Unlocked!

Or at least I'm pretty sure that's what's happened here; the base of the flower (or where the flower used to be; I'm a little unclear on the official botanical terminology for this one) is turning orange (otherwise they're the same green as the stems), and it looks like a "live" color, not a "dead" one.


The female parent is an orange-flowering, large-leafed variety I've never had a name for, and the male parent is 'Tropicana.' I have no idea how long to expect this to take, or what to do with the seeds once I have them, but I expect there's still time to do the research on that. Several of the flowers are doing this, and hopefully I accomplished the reverse cross (female 'Tropicana,' male orange) as of yesterday, so I should have no shortage of seeds to experiment with, knock wood.


2 comments:

Liza said...

Woohoo! That's pretty cool!

Tom said...

I believe the berries on it will be white if memory serves me correct although that might have been Aeschyanthus now that I think about it...