Monday, April 4, 2011

Dendrobomination

(EDIT: Sorry; the .gif didn't load properly the first time, but it's working now.)

Okay, for the love of all that is good in the world, someone needs to stop this crap. There must be someone who could stop this.

(Used by permission.)

This photo is from Ivynettle, at Letters and Leaves, which you should be reading already. I'm reposting the photo here at PATSP because I found a .gif that expresses my feelings about this sort of thing perfectly:


There are other pictures at the original post, including some hideous spray-painted Echeverias (possibly Graptoveria or Sedeveria or something like that; it's hard to make IDs on that kind of plant when they're their natural color). Ideas for what we should be doing to make this sort of thing stop are welcome. Obviously not buying them is an important first step, so if you have bought or ever will buy one of these dyed or painted plants, please never tell me.


13 comments:

Pat said...

Blue is the colour of death and bad luck in China, which cuts the market down.

I would suggest starting rumours about deaths or organ rot caused by unapproved colouring of plants. choose a poison everyone knows, cyanide and Prussian blue always go together nicely.

Anonymous said...

YUCK!!!
The plants look large, but WHY PAINT THEM!! they look so large and healthy!!! WTF!!! SERIOUSLY!?????!??

forest said...

That is so shockingly nasty that I think I just puked a little.

Jordan in Oregon said...

I threw up a little.

This reminds me of Louis Black: "Doctors say they don't know what causes an Aneurysm, but I do ..." *cue hand pointing and shaking madly* ... "It's when you hear something so stupid, that it gets in your head. And it stays there" and etc etc until BAM Aneurysm. This Dendrobium could very well cause me an Aneurysm down the road.

James Stapley said...

They've started doing this to Phalaenopsis orchids too... :/

mr_subjunctive said...

James Stapley:

I know.

MrBrownThumb said...

I just saw my first blue orchid in person at the Art in Bloom exhibit at the Milwaukee Art Museum. It was not cool at all.

Jenn said...

This is the heartbreaking blue that I miss like crazy:

http://gardendjinn.typepad.com/garden/2003/08/i_love_blue.html

Nothing in the desert has that fabulous blue.

And it's all natural, baby. Stunning blue.

I miss my Michigan garden so bad it hurts.

Ivynettle said...

Hahaha, you're giving my little blog more traffic in a day than I usually get in a week!
My boss' wife's reaction when I told her today was very much like that .gif - it's so lovely to have bosses like that! And now she's forewarned in case she ever runs into them at the wholesaler's.

Anonymous said...

I think the greatest scam is that it's roughly $45(USD) to buy that monstrosity.

Tom said...

Ugh. Barf Barf Barf.

Nat said...

Ecckkk, I read your last post on this subject and these photos are even worse! The dyed succulents look like their from mars, what will grocery store growers think of next.

I once brought up the topic with my boss (the head grower at the greenhosue I work at) and he told me a story about why some poinsettias have sparkles on them. Being a rather fickle crop, sometimes if the temperature drops, the develop an ugly dotted foliage. Nothing a little sparkles can't fix.. Hum.. I hate dyed plants, they make me sick.

Paul said...

An orchid only a blind person could love.