Monday, July 25, 2011

Random plant event: Canna flowers

I first noticed flower buds coming up on the Cannas last week, which surprised me: I wasn't expecting them so early. Yesterday, I saw the first open flower, too.

The reader may recall that I had started a bunch of Cannas from seeds; these are not them. The seedlings never made it out of the basement, because I couldn't come up with a good place to plant them in the yard. It was easy enough, though, that I figure I can do it next year, perhaps with a bit more planning. Or, you know, any planning.


Ginny Burton said...

Will they flower the first year from seed? If so, then why not try putting them in large pots rather than trying to find a place for them in the yard.

mr_subjunctive said...

Well, when I said they never made it out of the basement, I, um . . . technically, they made it out, in a plastic bag, and are now presumed to be in a landfill. They started to fall apart around late May, and I wasn't able to keep up with the watering, so.