Friday, August 5, 2011

Pretty picture: Abutilon seedlings, again

This isn't the greatest picture, but it's the best I could do under the circumstances. All three of these are from seedlings of the 'Bella Red' / 'Bella Pink' / 'Bella Vanilla' crosses: these are just the first three to produce flowers.


The one I posted about previously is on the far right, the very pale pink one (it did in fact lose some of the orange color as it aged, like 'Bella Vanilla' does). I'm pretty pleased about this whole Abutilon experiment, especially that they've all been different colors so far. (I'm less thrilled with Abutilons for being messy, thirsty, hungry, and ungraceful agers, but on balance they're still worthwhile.)

I'm curious about some of the claims I've seen regarding the 'Bella' series, especially the self-branching business (mine are not particularly into branching, even when pinched back). Maybe it would have been different if they were outside, but supposedly they also like cooler temperatures, so I'm not sure how that works. (Possibly they'd have made it to mid-July and then burst into flames?) Maybe I'll start some seedlings this summer, so I have plants to play around with outside next year.


No comments: