Sunday, May 6, 2012

Pretty picture: Paphiopedilum delenatii x Paph. Doctor Jack


I like this one to an almost frightening degree. (Though Doctor Jack isn't bad on his own. And there's a brown spot on the very bottom of the lip, that I didn't see in person but noticed once I was home looking through the photos, which ruins it slightly.) It's weird because the flower isn't terribly exciting or colorful: this same general coloration on a Phalaenopsis wouldn't excite me at all, but put it on a slipper orchid and I'm all hello, nurse!

(I am large, I contain multitudes.)

The genetics here are pretty straightforward: Paph. delenatii contributes the overall shape, and Paph. Doctor Jack adds the spots and removes the pink lip.

Looking up the ancestry of Paph. Doctor Jack is left as an exercise for the reader.


2 comments:

orchideya said...

Since parvisepalums(along with multiflorums) are my main interest in paphs and I really like delenatii hybrids, I actually did look up parentage of Doctor Jack and it turned out to be a primary of two brachy types - concolor and niveum. Those twoo might contribute a bit of difficulty to an easy to grow and bloom delenatii(I think brachypetalums are somewhat finicky), but such a wonderful bloom probably is worth it.

CelticRose said...

I never knew "hello nurse" came from vaudeville. I always thought it was original to Animaniacs. Learn something new every day.