Monday, April 14, 2008

Pretty pictures: Impatiens

Impatiens 'Merlot Mix'

We've had these around long enough that they no longer look all that pretty: some of the flowers have dropped, and some varieties ('Dazzler Red') have flowers that age weirdly, developing white spots all over like the flowers' color is just paint and it's peeling off. But even so.

Impatiens 'Super Elfin Lipstick'

I've never been a big fan of Impatiens in general, and I'm not liking this type any better than I ever did, now that I'm working with it. I don't go as far as a few of my co-workers, who have effectively re-named it: they never refer to "Impatiens;" it's always "fucking Impatiens." So far, I haven't seen what it is that inspires this level of hostility, though there are a lot of them, and they get tedious.

I actually like the New Guinea types, though that shouldn't be all that big of a surprise. They have nice foliage, I like nice foliage, so it all works. Undecided about the flowers. I'm not much inclined to buy one, in any case: I already have way too many plants (398, as of Saturday -- this really has got to stop).

Impatiens x hawkeri 'Strawberry Star'


1 comment:

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Yup, me too. I only like the New Guinea types because I'm a foliage lover. If the leaves don't get my attention in one way or another, the flowers won't cut it. Very nice pictures, by the way. It must be quite a sight at this time of year where you work; probably full of beautiful colours with all the annuals, etc. Not sure though if you're thrilled about it...must be a lot of work to care for all of them...!