Monday, April 13, 2009

Pretty picture: Dianthus cv. 'Black Cherry Wild'


I didn't even notice the flower when I passed by this plant the first half-dozen times I passed it, the day this picture was taken. Once I did notice it, though, I became kind of intrigued. It's an unusual color for a flower (the color in the picture is fairly accurate), and since the only Dianthus I was familiar with before this were the bright white, searing red, and glow-in-the-dark pink of the annual type we sell, this was even more of a revelation.

I don't know if I'd want one in my yard. (I'm not sure I want a yard, either, as far as that goes.) But it's oddly compelling all the same.


3 comments:

danu said...

Absolutely beautiful photo.
It looks so fresh.

www.Says-It-With-Flowers.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I have many dianthus never seen this paticular color though, very nice.

Julie said...

It sure is compelling! I adore Dianthus anyway...but this one is a really neat shade of color!!!