Thursday, August 18, 2011

Random plant event: Columnea orientandina fruit

The Columnea orientandina I mentioned last May hasn't been growing terribly fast, but it hasn't been giving me any reason to worry about it, either, so I haven't been thinking about it much. It's on a flat with several other plants in 3" pots, and they all get dry at more or less the same rate, so normally I just put the whole tray in the tub, spray it down, add a little fertilizer, and move on to the next plants. For some reason this week, I took all the plants out of the tray before watering and looked at them up close, just to see if anything was going on, and I saw a fruit:


I'm very interested in this, naturally. I've tried a lot more seeds than have ever worked (the Schlumbergera seeds haven't done anything yet, for example, after a month -- though the Anthuriums are all over), so I'm not going to plan on a swarm of baby Columneas, but it'd be pretty cool if it were to work out. Keep your fingers crossed for me.


2 comments:

Long Haired Lady Rider said...

Oh, I guess I forgot to tell you that it also gets loads of beautiful berries

http://gesneriads.ca/colum202.htm

My bad. Forgive me?

Anonymous said...

If you don't want all the seeds, you know where to send 'em. ;) I'm more than happy to have too many!