Saturday, January 14, 2012

Saturday morning Sheba and/or Nina picture


Yes, Nina is still around. I don't post about her a lot, both due to embarrassment over how water-spotted and overgrown her terrarium has gotten and because she just doesn't really do that much that needs documenting -- I mean, if you've seen one Nina photo then you've pretty much seen all of them. But yes, she's still here. I also still need to replant the terrarium (possibly without the Pellionia pulchra -- I'm happy that it's done so well in there, but it might be nice to have more than one species represented, too1). Replanting is one of those things I think about every few months but never actually attempt, partly because I dread trying to catch Nina, partly because I can't decide what I want to plant in there instead.2

But in any event, Nina herself is doing fine. I think so, anyway. Not really sure what a lizard "acting out" would look like.

-


1 There was a Fittonia in there at one time as well, but no longer: between being eaten by crickets, rebounding poorly from the inevitable droughts, and being outcompeted by the Pellionia, it faded away to nothing some time ago.
2 I've spent a lot of time thinking about this, but never manage to come up with a plan. Most of the options are also problematic because they have the same advantages and drawbacks as Pellionia -- I have lots of material from which to start new plants, and I'm confident that they'd root, but they'd also quickly take over the terrarium, and then I'd be back in this position again.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If she stays in a small enough tank, you could purchase a second tank to plant as well. Then just alternate between tanks as needed.

Maybe she could be herded into a large net for tropical fish, with a sheet of cardboard or container lid placed over it to keep her from escaping?

I know nothing about lizards.

Ginny Burton said...

Wonderful picture! It's lovely to see Miss Nina for a change -- not that Sheba isn't camera-worthy. That's a particularly attractive shot.

CelticRose said...

Nina looks great. Love that tail. :)

Paul said...

I recently adopted one of Nina's kin. Poor thing is paralyze from the hips back .....

Jeane said...

She must be one happy lizard (anole, right?) to have all those growing plants. How many pet owners actually bother to keep live foliage in their terrariums?

Unknown said...

Nice to see Nina thriving! I haven't been here for a while, busy with the usual stuff, and I miss the Nina pics, to say nothing of your wit and wisdom.

Mae said...

It might be an interesting eco-system experiment to find the right balance of aggressively growing plants that would compete but balance each other. (Sorry, that's just the restoration ecologist in me...)