Friday, April 8, 2011

Pretty pictures: Thunbergia cvv.

Thunbergia battiscombei

I've never tried any Thunbergias, indoors or out, so this probably doesn't have much relevance to my life, but whatever. The blue surprised me.

The ex-job received a new batch of tropical climbing plants about three weeks ago, and T. battiscombei was among them. Mainly I find myself wondering whether it would hybridize with the orange Thunbergias, and if so what color(s) the offspring would be.

Thunbergia alata 'Blushing Susie.'

In the process of writing this post, which was originally supposed to be just about T. battiscombei, I discovered that I'd never gotten around to posting this picture of T. alata 'Blushing Susie,' or if I had, I didn't tag it in a way that made it possible to find it again. Obviously a grievous error, so I'm correcting that today.


3 comments:

Joseph said...

I've had the same thought re hybridization, but never had a chance to try it. It seems like such and obvious cross to make I half think it must not be possible, but who knows. One of these days I'll actually try it and find out.

Rosemary Waigh said...

I grew T. alata 'Blushing Susie' from seed last year (started indoors, moved outside after frost). Very easy!

mrbrownthumb said...

I've grown some of the others, but I've never grown this blue one or even seen it person. How did you resist buying this?!?!