Sunday, June 5, 2011

Berry-go-Round #40 is up.

Actually, it's been up for a while already, at Sitka Nature, but I'm only just now getting around to it because I had a good blogging week last week and actually managed to write some posts in advance for once. So I'm telling you now.

It's possible that some of you are asking What's a Berry-go-Round?

Well. Berry-go-Round is a blog carnival1 with a focus on botany. It's not so much about horticulture (though they're not anti-horticulture) as about science. People submit blog posts that they've written, or that they've encountered elsewhere on the web,2 and then the list gets posted on the host blog.

Some of you may now be asking why you should care. The reason is that PATSP will be hosting Berry-go-Round #41,3 in about a month, so if you have botany-related blog posts -- and "botany-related" appears to be understood kind of loosely4 -- you should read this and then submit a post. My hope is that I'll get some hort folks and some botany folks who wouldn't have otherwise run into one another reading one another's blogs, and then . . . um, some sort of wonderful blog-and-plant-involving things will happen, possibly ushering in a new era of peace and prosperity for all humanity.5

-


1 "Blog carnival" is defined by Wikipedia as:
A blog article that contains links to other articles covering a specific topic. Most blog carnivals are hosted by a rotating list of frequent contributors to the carnival, and serve to both generate new posts by contributors and highlight new bloggers posting matter in that subject area.

2 I think people can submit stuff they haven't written, anyway. I mean, I don't know why they wouldn't be able to.
3 It goes without saying -- though I'll say it anyway -- that BGR41 will be the BEST BGR EVER!!!1!!1!!!
4 I don't know that there's even a strict definition for "horticultural" as opposed to "botanical." My only submission to BGR so far was the Phalaenopsis profile, which went on at some length about polyploidy, but someone also included one of the transmitted light photo sets, so it's not like your post has to be all "The seed stalk or funiculus of each seed is modified into a hook shaped jaculator or retinaculum that functions in flinging out the seeds during dehiscence" in order to qualify.
5 And possibly it won't. But we'll never know unless we try.


1 comment:

Liza said...

I think this sounds wonderful. I'm looking forward to reading the entries.