Sunday, April 6, 2008

Random plant event: Ficus triangularis flowers (?)

Some time ago, we had a bonsai Ficus triangularis in that started looking like crap, as Ficus bonsai sometimes will, and I tried to reshape it to something prettier, but of course I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to bonsai, so I didn't help much. But when it was all over, I had a bunch of tip cuttings left, and I thought, I wonder if these would root.

So I planted about thirty cuttings, and about twenty-six keeled over immediately, but a few held on.

So then the other day I'm looking for something for a customer and notice that one of these cuttings has these . . . things all over it.


I expect these are small figs ("figlets of my imagination," one could say). Not necessarily edible, or even attractive, but a good sign that the cutting in question is going to take. Not what I expected these last few survivors to do.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is an interesting find for sure! I don't quite understand why it would produce those while it is still such a small plant and seemingly waste all that energy instead of growing more.