Saturday, December 26, 2009

Saturday morning Nina picture


Aaaaand we're back, with a Nina photo that has a lot of dramatic tension, I think. Or at least potential for it.

It occurs to me that it's actually been a really long time since I've seen Nina actually eat her crickets. I mean, I know she is, because she's not dead, and the crickets disappear over time, and I'm not finding cricket corpses. But it used to be that once I dumped them in, she'd go after them immediately, and she hasn't done that for a few months now. I'm not worried about this, just less entertained than I used to be.


5 comments:

Esther Montgomery said...

When I was at secondary school, we were allowed to bring creatures to live in the 'pet room'. I took in a couple of slow-worms and would regularly buy maggots from the fishing shop with which to feed them. I had no idea of their appetite. Nor did I want them to go hungry. I saw no evidence of maggots. Then . . .

One day, one of my friends came running in a great state . . . "All your maggots have hatched into flies!" The pet room was crawling with them - floor, walls, bench surfaces. Their wings were still wet so we were able to sweep them up and chuck them out en masse.

I hope you don't end up, one day, with a cricket infestation!

Esther

Aaerelon said...

I wonder if the tension streams from her wanting to go out for boxing day, but not being able to voice it...

CelticRose said...

Lol, those crickets do like to live dangerously, don't they?

Nina may be used to having a regular food supply now and doesn't feel the need anymore to snatch food as soon as she sees it.

duncan said...

My sagrei always observed winter by being less aggressive feeders, though with plant lights around I don't know how well Nina would be able to tell the season.

Anonymous said...

Lizards typically slow down their metabolism during the "winter" no matter the amount of light/warmth made available to them. You can do more damage to feed them too much during this time since they can die of undigested food than too little. Love your pictures of Nina.