Monday, December 21, 2009

Son of Even More Blogroll Additions

PATSP hiatus begins tomorrow, and I have to say, I've rarely looked forward to hiatus as much as I do this time. I do, in fact, finally have too many plants, and keeping up with all of them has gotten to be a bit of a pain. (I know I've said this before, but this time I really mean it.)

This has especially been the case following the recent evacuation. This won't actually let me off the hook for anything, since I'm still going to have to be working on the blog during the hiatus, as well as continuing to keep the plants watered, but at least not having to come up with stuff for a few days means that I might be able to finish some of the longer posts I've been trying to work on. Some of them will be very cool if I ever manage to finish them. Plus there's a profile coming just any day now on Pandanus veitchii and P. utilis (UPDATE: Done!), and a large number of potential profiles (see sidebar).

(The Pandanus profile looks like it's even going to involve cake, for you fans of cake. I'm not kidding.)

But you are not entertained by promises of posts in the future! You want posts right now, am I right?

So allow me to recommend the following sites to enjoy in my absence:

Homegrown Evolution isn't really applicable to me so much, but I suspect they're relevant to a lot of my readers, and the site is well-written and interesting, so I include it. Main topics include urban gardening, self-sufficiency, environmentalism, beekeeping, canning, and similar hippie-slash-grandma stuff. But in a good way. It is written by "Homegrown Neighbor," "Homegrown Evolution," and "Mrs. Homegrown," which one rather hopes are pseudonyms. All three live in Los Angeles, CA. The site first came to my attention when they linked to my Asparagus spp. profile. (They don't like asparagus ferns either.)

Fuck You, Penguin isn't very houseplant-relevant either, but it's funny. Topics: mostly being rude to adorable animals, as the title suggests. Sometimes being rude to gross animals. Animals, animal photography, that kind of thing. Posts written by "BZA," though the book (F U Penguin: Telling Cute Animals What's What) is by Matthew Gasteier, which is at least strongly suggestive that maybe BZA and Matthew Gasteier are the same person. I think I found this by checking out the other blogs that one of my "followers" followed, but I don't remember who it was.

Howplantswork Weblog is yet another blog that is more or less exactly what it sounds like: it's a blog about how plants work. Consequently, it contains a lot of science; most of it is about two notches more sciencey than PATSP, and there's more biochemistry than the average PATSP reader is going to be accustomed to. But it also explains things like how plants make flowers, how plants know how big they are, how and why plants produce ethylene, and various other stuff that we've occasionally touched on here. Try it and see if you get anything out of it. If you don't, no harm done, and you don't have to go back. I think I found it through a Google search on something or another.

The Phytophactor is both the title of the blog and its author, who when referring to himself in the third person sometimes calls himself "The Phactor." The Phactor is an academic biologist, with a particular interest in tropical rain forests, but the jargon is fairly minimal, and the science, when presented, is totally readable. The vocabulary is roughly equivalent to, or maybe even a notch below, PATSP, depending on the post. I have no memory of encountering this blog, so I can't tell you how it happened. Topics: academia, gardening, rainforests, taxonomy, plant diversity.

Liz and the Professor is written by who you would think it would be written by. They live in Key West, FL, U.S., and grow a lot of the same things I do, but they grow them outside instead of inside. It's mostly about the photography, but -- it is very good photography, especially if you're like me and have only ever seen these plants indoors, in pots. It hasn't been updated much lately, which makes me wonder about things, but before November there were about three posts per week. I'm pretty sure I found it during the Blotanical Awards last September (L&tP was up for Best Florida Blog; it placed third, but as a multiple third-place finisher myself, I say third is not that bad).

Garden Chronicles is similar: it's interesting to find pictures of houseplants I have growing outdoors, fifty times bigger. Also lots of orchid pictures. Garden Chronicles is written by James Missier from Batu Caves, Selangor, Malaysia. (If you're reading this, James: I tried to find Garden Chronicles at Blotanical to fave you, and literally could not get to your blog or plot. I know Stuart said he was going to be fixing the navigation problems, so I can only assume that he's started to do so already. But the intent was there.) I suspect I found it through My Nice Garden, but I'm not sure.

Greensparrow Gardens is written by Greensparrow (Joseph Tychonievich) and appears to be mainly about outdoor gardening, plus a good bit of science and miscellanea. It's hard to summarize. I also don't know anything about this alleged green sparrow: was it green to begin with? Did someone make it green? Is it metaphorical, and the sparrow in question is just really environmentally conscious? We do not know. We may never know. I don't remember how I found it: possibly via comment here at PATSP, or through some other blog (The Scientist Gardener would be a likely candidate).

Good to Grow, on the other hand, I'm pretty sure I discovered through looking at my Sitemeter statistics. Houseplants, interiorscaping, how-to, retail, outdoor. It's written by Liza, from Albuquerque, NM, U.S.

I don't even know what the name of the next one is, because it is, unfortunately for me, written in Greek. It looks like "Phytology," maybe. (Google Translate renders it "Fytologio.") I found it when the author started to follow PATSP. (I don't check out all of my followers' profile pages, for various reasons, but I usually do eventually look at most of them.) I recommend it mainly for the photography, which is very good. Lots of close-ups of very obscure succulents, plus also some orchids and really strange cactus stuff. (For example, this post from October, which involves grafting cactus that have been cut vertically: the plant which results is an Echinopsis on the left and a Sulcorebutia on the right. Crazier still, both of these appear to be grafted themselves, onto an Opuntia. Why? I do not know. But it certainly expands my understanding of what can be done with cactus grafting. Also check out the thinly-sliced Lithops pictures, which does the same for my concepts of transmitted-light plant photography.) The pictures also link to a separate website with a really ridiculous number of plant pictures, which I had previously run into when researching for the Haworthia profile, and which is nice for IDing stuff because there are many pictures of each plant, from various angles.

So. There. That should hold y'all for four days. (Actually, some of those sites could give you reading material until Easter, all by themselves.) Have a good Christmas, and I will see you again on Boxing Day, at which point we can gleefully fling poinsettias into the garbage while saying rude things to them, which is how I traditionally observe Boxing Day.


9 comments:

lynn'sgarden said...

Thanks for these links, Mr_Subj...I actually know 4 out of the 10 mentioned. Hope you get all your watering in w/o further mishaps and more snow than your heart desires...lol! Enjoy the hiatus ;)

Diane said...

Some good stuff here! Thanks!

The Plant Science blog appears to be an aggregator or whatever the right term is. One of the first posts was lifted uncredited from ScienceDaily.com and I'm guessing the rest of them are also plagiarized. Not that it's bad to have an aggregator of plant science articles on-line, but would it kill them to give their sources?

Ginny Burton said...

I just checked the Plant Science blog and I think it does credit sources--at least the ones I looked at had a link that said "Source" and connected with the original post. But yes, it should have been clearer; it should have been credited without the reader having to go to the hyperlink.

Mr_S, I hope you have a lovely Hiatus with lots of presents under the Hiatus tree. May the spirit of Hiatus be with you and your readers all year long!

Nell Jean said...

Have you been in touch with Liz and the Professor? There has not been a post there since 11/9. No mention of a hiatus was made. They have not answered inquiries. Hope they're just traveling or something and all is well.

mr_subjunctive said...

Diane:

Hmmm. I think you're right. I'm going to edit the post to remove the PSB link. It is nice to have one convenient place to go for this kind of story, and they do, technically, eventually get around to citing sources, but that doesn't really excuse them lifting entire articles, with pictures, and reproducing them.

Thanks for catching that.

Ginny Burton:

And a happy Hiatus to you as well. Don't forget the Hiatus cookies, Hiatusnog, etc.

Nell Jean:

I haven't, though it wouldn't have occurred to me to wonder what was going on had you not said anything, since it's not that unusual for people to stop blogging for a while over nothing in particular. Though usually they make apologetic, oh-my-god-I-can't-believe-it's-been-that-long-since-my-last-post posts for a while first.

I suppose we will have to wait and see whether there's an explanation.

Good to Grow said...

Thank you so much for the shout out. I really appreciate it. I hope you have a great break. I will miss the posts - you always make me smile.

Mr. Homegrown said...

Thanks for the linkalatin'. Nice to meet other Asparagus spp. haters out there!

Unknown said...

You can probably hear me laughing from here, Mr_subj, because the flinging of poinsettias while saying rude things to them sent me into gales of laughter. I have a friend who is an amazing floral designer/florist, and he always puts his out for some fresh air (about -20) just after New Years. It improves them every time, he says.
Happy Christmas to you and the husband, and I look forward to many more delicious stories and rants from you. The only thing I'd say is that you must not let yourself stress over PATSP posts, because that will bring burnout. Post when you feel like it--we'll be here.

Melanie J Watts said...

Thanks for the plant blog links. I'm always on hte lookout for more garden blogs to read.
"Flinging poinsttias into the garbage and saying rude things to them " made me laugh too because inevitably I forget to water mine, the plants dry up and look ugly. I should just chuck them before that happens.