Friday, July 30, 2010

More Sites of Interest

It's been too long since I've done this, and I'm sorry. I'm even more sorry that I'm not going to be as thorough about it as I would like. My time is limited, like usual, so I will wind up not including some blogs which are perfectly worthy. I have a whole list of people I intend to check up on, who I hope to add to my blogroll at some point, so just so that we're all clear: I might still be aware of your blog (especially if you've commented here before, but even if you've just linked to PATSP), even if you're not on the blogroll.

Which actually is another reason why I haven't done one of these in a while: I feel like I have to apologize to all the people I leave off.

Anyway. So for this round:

Hort Log has been around for a long time (since 2007), and is written by Zog Zog and Hort Log, who may be the same person. I can't determine a location for sure, but it appears to be based somewhere in Southeast Asia (Singapore?). Particular interests are rare / weird tropicals, particularly orchids, carnivores, begonias, and gesneriads: it's a really good place to look at plants you've never seen before (and probably will never see in person, alas). I knew of Hort Log for a long time before I thought to add it to my feed reader, so I no longer have any idea how I became aware of it. Probably either Blotanical or Houseplants.

My Northern Garden is written by Mary Schier, who lives in Minnesota and writes about outdoor and edible gardening in Minnesota, as one would expect, with occasional forays into container and indoor gardening. I first became aware of MNG during the Robin Ripley stuff a few months ago.

I am somewhat embarrassed that I haven't gotten around to mentioning Steve Asbell's The Rainforest Garden before now. It's not that I wasn't aware of it -- it seems like I heard about it a long time ago, possibly through Blotanical? -- but for some reason, you know. Possibly I was jealous of the blog design. (It's very nice.) I don't know. In any case, I'm rectifying this now. Steve and I grow a lot of the same plants, but all mine are indoors, and his are mostly outdoors. Special interests appear to be edibles, bromeliads and other epiphytes, large-leaved plants like Colocasias, gingers, cannas, and bananas, and then houseplants and container gardening.

Danger garden writes Danger Garden from Portland, Oregon. The focus is very much on the sharp pointy things: Agaves, Yuccas, Euphorbias (though mostly the outdoor, hardy types, not the pointy ones, which seems like an oversight, but I will forgive a blogger of a lot of things if they have 57 posts tagged "Agave"), that sort of thing, hence the blog name. And there is a dog. I think I ran across Danger Garden via Plant Zone, but I'm not sure.

F that S (yeah, it stands for what you think it stands for) is sort of about everything and nothing. There are tendencies toward the horticulture industry, graphic design (and then landscape design, the overlap of the two), travel, and much photography of nature-type stuff. I'm probably leaving things out. It's written by Corinne Weiner from New York City, and I'm pretty sure I found it when Statcounter told me someone came from there to visit PATSP.

That's it for this round. If I haven't mentioned you yet, please know that I probably feel really bad about it.


6 comments:

Kimberly said...

Great list of blogs...Steve's Rainforest Gardener is one of my faves.
BTW, I referred to one of your old posts in my recent post regarding the devil's backbone/slipper plant titled "Nerves and Distractions". Cool plant that I recently acquired.

Liza said...

I'm crushed! Haha, not really! Thanks for the links - I haven't seen a couple of those sites before and will check them out now.

Steve Asbell said...

I'm honored, especially that you like the design! Your opinion matters a lot to me since you're pretty much the best houseplant resource on the web!
I'm so glad that you shared Danger Garden, since its one of my favs as well and she has a great collection.

Hermes said...

Hort Log is one of my favourites - he photographs such great plants.

Megan said...

Danger Garden is the best :) Had never heard of a couple of the ones on the list.

danger garden said...

Hey there Mr.S (can I call you that?)...thank you for the link and the recommendation! Oh, and for reminding me I haven't talked nearly enough about my spiky Euphorbias...I will correct that oversight soon.
-Loree