Saturday, March 14, 2015

Anthuriums 0279 and 0594

I've been spending a lot of time lately trying to get the Anthurium-seedling-related spreadsheets whipped into some kind of order,1 I have a lot of photos that need to be sorted through, and next weekend is the orchid show, so the daily posts will have to stop being daily for a while. So you've been warned.

Today's post is about #0279 "Tristan Shout" and #0594 "Charity Case," which began blooming at basically the same time, and have produced basically identical flowers.

Left/top: #0279 "Tristan Shout." Right/bottom: #0594 "Charity Case."

This is turning out to be the year of the LPA (Little Pink Anthurium). Nothing wrong with 'em, and Charity even did something barely interesting as the first bloom was dying, in that the spadix turned an unexpectedly dark purple:

I mean, we could argue about whether this nearly-dead bloom is attractive overall, but that is certainly a purple spadix.

Both Tristan and Charity are unexpectedly floriferous; Charity's first bud opened on January 26, and she already had a second bud going by January 30 (which had itself opened by March 11). Tristan's first bud opened on January 30, and there was a second bud in development by February 27. So they're good plants, and probably also genetically identical (#0594 was divided from #0279 last June). But did they have to be pink, is all.

Again, left/top: #0279 "Tristan Shout." Right/bottom: #0594 "Charity Case." Photo is just after Tristan opened.

Both of them are pink / pink when open, and light pink / purple about 2-4 weeks later.

#0279 "Tristan Shout," about 1 month after opening.

The spathes are tiny, as well: nowhere is the "little" in "little pink anthuriums" more deserved. That's something that might change as the plants mature, but at least for the moment, all three blooms have been 1.5 inches wide and 1.7 inches tall (3.8 x 4.3 cm). I suppose I admire the consistency?

#0594 "Charity Case," second bloom, just after opening.

The blooms are also not very long-lasting, though since only one has actually died so far (after about a month), it's probably too early to be sure about that.

The leaves are okay, I guess. Not especially attractive. Tristan's leaves have had some problems --

-- but he seems to have mostly grown out of that. Mostly the leaves are ordinary and sort of matte green, like this one of Charity's:

Keepers? Well, I might keep one or the other. The purple spadix and (so far) small plant size makes me suspect that they're 'White Gemini' x NOID purple, so it might be worthwhile to have one around for breeding purposes. Haven't decided yet. But the other, I'll probably have up for sale at some point. Can't keep 'em all.


1 In particular, I've noticed that certain sibling groups -- seeds sown at more or less the same time, from the same seed parent -- do a lot more blooming than others, or are much more likely to die than others, or etc., and so I've been trying to work out how many such groups I have (71) and what they're like, in general. So far, the only practical effect of having this information is that now when a seedling dies, gets potted up, or produces a bud for the first time, I have, like, three times as many spreadsheets / notebooks / etc. to record that information in: I had three new buds and eight deaths on Wednesday and it took me, no kidding, two hours to deal with all the bureaucracy.
I agree that this is ridiculous, but with 1057 seedlings to date, 762 of which are still alive, there's no way I'm going to be able to remember it all in my head, and since I don't really know what information will be important in the long run, a certain amount of unnecessary record-keeping seems warranted.

Each one of the above squares represents a seedling that existed at one time or another:a gray squares are dead plants, green squares are living but haven't bloomed, hot pink squares are living and have bloomed, and the sort of lavender-looking squares have buds in progress.
       a (actually number 0388 represents two seedlings, because in early January 2014, as I was potting up a new batch, I started numbering from the wrong number, but both of the 388s are dead so it doesn't really matter)


Anonymous said...

Have you tried sewing your seeds during the different phases of the moon? I've read (and had success) with planting or transplanting on the full moon. I don't know, the moon has a special relationship with plants. Maybe it's the extra bright night light that makes them more vigorous or something?

mr_subjunctive said...


I know that that is a thing people do, but I have not yet seen any objective evidence that it has any effect whatsoever on plants, cannot think of any mechanism whereby it could have any effect on plants, can think of one good reason why it shouldn't have an effect,[1] and therefore do not intend to try it. You are welcome to direct me to scientific papers that show a difference if you are aware of any.

The "bright night" business would not be relevant to my plants, as they live in a basement, with lights on timers, and are not in a position to be able to tell how much moonlight there is on any particular evening.


[1] (don't want to go into a full explanation because it's complicated and I have things to do, but the short explanation is: "evolution")